A Vim of a Different Color
by Annika Backstrom in misc, on 26 March 2009. It is tagged #Linux, #Mac OS X, #iterm, #screen, and #Vim.
After one too many compilation errors due to a missing quote/brace/bracket/etc., I finally enabled Vim syntax highlighting. The rabbit hole:
:syn on. These colors suck. Look for themes.
- 4 bit themes suck. Let's set up an 8 bit color terminal.
- Leopard's Terminal.app fails, install iTerm 0.9.6.
- iTerm works, but I use GNU screen all day. Recompile screen with
- screen wins, but doesn't play nice with the delete key in iTerm. Fix it.
- Compile Vim 7.2 for 8 bit support.
- Get an 8 bit theme.
" syntax highlight html files using the php highlighter
autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile *.html set filetype=php
- Install FuzzyFinder for good measure now that we're out of Vim 6.3 territory.
- Start saving seconds/minutes/hours of my life that before were consumed by syntax errors.