For the first time in many years, I have a Windows PC. This is the first computer I've owned outright since ~2009, when I starting using company-owned laptops full-time. Having my own computer has been refreshing: separating my work and home computing has been on my TODO list for ages.
As a challenge, I'm trying to set up the new computer without any help from my very customized MacBook. Shortcuts like using an existing SSH key are out. Just to edit this blog:
- Install Cygwin
- Generate new ssh key
- Login to server using web console to add new public key, but paste isn't working
- Add public key to GitHub (note: could/should have used GitLab)
- Use curl + tail to append public key to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys
- Fix permissions problems on cygwin ~/.ssh directory and files
- On server, checkout gitolite admin directory and add new public key
- On Windows machine, checkout blog directory
So that's how I end up with a very useful post about how I made the post.